Ever since I was a child, I really dread the thought of having wrinkles on my face. Over the years I have discovered many ways to prevent wrinkles. We all know that we will get old and have wrinkles eventually, but we might as well do some ways in order to delay the aging process. So these are my simple yet very effective ways to avoid facial wrinkles naturally.
1. Avoid sun exposure and if you cannot stay out of the sun, remember to put your sunscreen on.
2. Don’t smoke or stop smoking.We already know that nothing good comes from smoking.
3. Do facial routine once or twice weekly.
4. Exfoliate twice or thrice weekly. However, since I have an oily and dry face combination type of skin, I’m using the Ponds Facial scrub every day. I like to use it daily because the grains have a milder texture and my face feels softer afterwards and it doesn’t hurt my skin after washing.
5. Sleep on your back. Sleeping face-down gives you a furrowed brow while sleeping on your side may form wrinkles on cheeks and chin. But, sometimes it’s inevitable to sleep on our side, therefore, I use satin or silk pillow cases.
6. Take supplements like Multivitamins and take separate doses of natural Vitamin E 400 IU, Vitamin C at least 500 mg, Fish oil, Grape Seed Oil and Alpha Lipoic Acid. Do not take it all at once, though.
7. A lot of women uses ice cubes on their face to minimize pore size. But you may as well use try this: Put a green tea bag in a hot cup water, wait until it cools down and put it inside the ice cube holder. Put it in the freezer for a night and you may use it like the way you use your ice cubes before. Now, you can have a smaller facial pore size while maximizing the green tea’s antioxidant benefits.
8. Use Retin-A as your anti-aging night cream. I have been using it for years and it has given my face wonders. The younger you started using it (maybe 25 years old), the better the effect. However, you may have to use a higher SPF on your sunscreen as Retin-A will make your skin more sensitive to UV rays.
9. Use sunglasses when you are outdoors, sun rays will make you squint. Also, make sure that your glasses have UV protection. Moreover, if you have eye problems, make sure to wear eyeglasses to keep from further squinting.And since I cannot control from squinting when I’m asleep, I always put a bandage in between my brows. You may choose a bandage intended for sensitive skin.
10. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables. It gives us nutrients and antioxidants that give our skin a healthier glow, inside and out. And as much as possible keep your body away from eating processed foods.
11. Avoid eating junk foods. Junk foods have tons of sodium and preservatives which are not only bad for the skin but also for our health.
12. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated. And since I live in a tropical country, I drink lots of fresh coconut water. It’s both refreshing and good for your skin.
13. Avoid extreme facial expressions or movements, it will result in wrinkles over time. You may try to talk or laugh in front of the mirror just to check how much lines you produce while you talk, laugh or frown. I am not saying that you maintain a poker face, you just try to control excessive facial expression.
14. Since gravity is inevitable, I also use a facial slimming belt while sleeping to counteract gravity.
15. Maintain a healthy diet. If you are overweight, try to lose weight slowly as this may cause sagging. Also, avoid yoyo diet because this may cause too much stress on your skin which results in premature aging.
16. Get adequate sleep. Your skin will appear dry if you lack sleep.
17. Drink cocoa instead of coffee. Cocoa contains a high level of two dietary flavanols (epicatechin and catechin) which helps protect your skin from sun damage and it helps improve circulation on your skin.
18. Always have a positive outlook on life.
19. Smile and take the time to laugh. Smiling lowers stress and anxiety. Furthermore, it will also strengthen your immune system. Sometimes, during my break at work or during the weekend, I try to watch funny films or series just to release the stress that has accumulated over the week.
20. Meditate. Meditation keeps you young by decreasing the body’s production of stress hormones that may lead to tissue damage or wrinkles.
I hope that these suggestions will help you get a glowing and youthful skin. Let me tell you that these will not give an instant result, I started these when I was younger (maybe 20 years old). Because they say that aging is irreversible, prevention is the key to not have them. And now at the age of 35, I’m happy to say that my face doesn’t show any signs of premature lines yet. But if you have wrinkles already, it’s not too late to do this healthy habits or you may choose medical procedures, that is if you can afford it or if you are not afraid of needles.